This program provides employment training for Metro-Vancouver and Victoria youth living in our directly-managed properties.
back to Education Training Program
Through STEP, youth living in directly-managed properties in Metro Vancouver and the City of Victoria are offered training to build skills and confidence, and provides practical experience.
- The STEP programs are open to youth 15-18 years old who live a BC Housing directly-managed property.
- When the program opens each year we mail letters and applications to all eligible youth.
- You’ll need to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) before you can apply. Contact Service Canada to get an application form.
- Please note that if you’ve taken part in STEP before you’re not eligible to apply again.
Late applications are not accepted.
STEP to Work
This seven-week program takes place in Metro Vancouver, and helps youth prepare for work through a mandatory two-week training period, followed by five weeks of work. Participants are given a transit pass for the seven weeks.
During the training period, participants will prepare a resume and learn job interview techniques.
The program also provides the following information:
- Workplace safety, including how to protect your back in the workplace
- Standard first aid
- Food safety for working in restaurants
- Working as front-line staff in the hospitality and tourism industries
- Working with hazardous materials
How to apply
You can apply in one of three ways:
- Ask your building manager for an application
- Call 778-452-6452 and ask for an application
- Email the program directly at [email protected] and ask for an application
The program runs through the summer, but starts on different dates every year. If you want to know when the program starts, ask your building manager.
After you apply
- We’ll contact you to let you know if you’ve been accepted.
- You will receive a participation package upon acceptance, with forms to complete and have signed by your guardian or parent.
- We’ll phone you to arrange a meeting, or to schedule a phone call to confirm your participation and discuss the program.